Friday, September 25, 2015

Motorcycle Tires

Originally posted, April 23, 2011.

I’m one with the motorcycle. On the road it’s an extension of me. I don’t think of it as something that just accepts my commands, but more like an appendage. It’s me with wheels.

This is the first motorcycle I’ve owned, though I rode a few before I bought this one. That is, if you could count what I knew then as riding. I’ve been feeling for some time that the front tire seems to skid out easily. I just accepted that it was because the tire was skinny and not big like what you commonly see on a Harley-Davidson bike.

The June 2011 issue of Motorcycle Cruiser had an interesting article about tires. It contained much more than I really needed to know, but a fascinating tidbit was how to read a tires date code. Decoding my codes says my tires will soon be six years old. I haven’t owned the bike that long. I bought it used.

I then remembered from reading “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Motorcycles” that you should occasionally inspect your tires. So with a pin light, that’s just what I did. My front tire was loaded with micro cracks. The rear one has them also but not as bad.

I immediately took my bike it to the local dealer for their opinion. Their observation was the tire rubber is old, turning hard and cracking. Soooo, I’ve saving my pennies for new tires as soon as possible. I think I can have them put on in the next few weeks. Moral of the story, it’s good to read sometimes AND inspect the tires.