Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Victory Cross Roads and the Kingpin

Copied from prior blog.

This weekend I participated in Victory Motorcycle's Go Break Boundaries test ride. I road a Cross Roads and a Kingpin. I had prior test road and reviewed a Victory Kingpin here.



The Cross Roads

My first ride was a Cross Roads. I was attracted to this motorcycle because of the storage options. The luggage carrying capacity of this bike is huge as you can see from the photo.

My first riding impressions was a bit baffling at first. Counter steering in turns didn't immediately come natural. The handlebars were set back and that felt odd at first.

The problem was I think, I was in town and unfamiliar with this bike. This bike is best meant for the open road and long distance riding. The set back handle bars would be more comfortable on a long distance haul. Due to the set back feel of the handlebars and the size of this bike, be prepared to spend a little riding time getting used to the unique feel.

The engine power was excellent. The storage/luggage options versus other bikes is uncontested. The stock seating comfort was more than acceptable. For a long distance trip, this bike, a Cross Country or a Cross Country Tour would be a great choice.



The Kingpin (again)

If long distance riding is only an occasional happening, then look to the Kingpin. This is a "bridge" bike. What I mean by bridge is, it's good enough around town, and good enough for a long distance ride. In fact this thing is a hellion in twistys, and it had floor boards!

Everyone who got off this bike after the test ride, got off with a big smile. This bike has fair to good luggage options, but no where near what the Victory "Cross" series offers. The power is excellent. Accelerating on the freeway without a windscreen felt like I was going to fly off the bike. The gas mileage is pretty good. I think it's 40+ highway.

Would I like to own both bikes? Yes. At this time, I prefer the Kingpin. If I was going to do a lot of long distance riding, then one of the "Cross" series bikes would be what I would want.



I haven't test road a Vegas. Hopefully I'll get to do that soon on there next trip out.

Motorcycle Camping 2017